Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Gold by Wilbur Smith

Gold

I have always heard that Wilbur Smith is this awesome writer and when I started reading I always said that I want to read one of his books.

Well the one day I got ohold of one of his books called “Gold”. I is about the era in South Africa when gold mining was the controller of South Africa. When South Africa was set on the map due to it’s richness in minerals.

I started reading the book and was very anxious to get to the part which is described on the back of the book as Action packed with murder, lust and myhem. Through the fisrt couple of pages I started getting annoyd with all the technical details of all the mines and felt like I was reading some kind ogf mining weekly magazine.

Throughout the book the climax built up and then more and more technical crap. One scene for instance was starting to get very interesting…and wham! The focus just changed with no action whatsoever. And the book does not mention the unfinished scene at all.

At the end of the book all the action happens. In a matter of 5 – 10 pages, in a 200 – 230 page book.

Well, I would not read one of his books again! That’s for sure.

No comments: